Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Leaving Romania Soon



Those of you who have been on these short-term mission trips know about the devotions and de-briefing. These help me stay focused and I remember why I am here. They also give me glimpses into the hearts of my co-workers. The last few were very hard. I know we are all leaving and it's hard to say goodbye.


Saturday morning Beckah, our youngest co-worker, led our devotion time. She's the teenage daughter of physical therapist Debbie. They got here a week before the rest of the team and shared the love of Christ in another wheelchair distribution in Cluj. Beckah attracts children probably like Jesus did. She turned our attention to two of her favorite scriptures. I smiled when I heard the second one. It was a turning point scripture for me. One I heard back in 2006 when my pastor preached for weeks on the early church in the book of Acts. "They devoted themselves to the apostles teaching, to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. And awe came upon every soul and many wonders and signs were being done by the apostles. And all who believed were together and had all things in common. And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need. And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having favor with all the people."


This kind of bond that we believers share is not like any other. Close friends, spouses, parents and their children, brothers and sisters in human families will all one day be separated by death. It doesn't feel right. It's almost like we were made for some kind of enduring bond that transcends time and death. That's because we were. All history is marching relentlessly toward Revelation 7:9-17. God's word will not be set aside. He will accomplish His goal and that goal is to have a multitude that no one can number, white-hot worshippers who reflect His glory for eternity. We who know Him will look into His eyes and worship. We will see others there with whom we shared a bit of heaven on earth. Like these days in Romania have been.


I will miss my friends. I want to remember them forever.


Until that day I pray for Pastor Nicu and his family, Jenny, Deb, Beckah, and all the other dear ones whom Christ knit together in love, "that Christ might dwell in their hearts through faith and that they, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that they may be filled with all the fullness of God."

3 comments:

  1. hy dave
    I`m sammy form suceava,how are you?
    You didn`t answer my email.It`s all right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Sammy! I did answer your email and will send it again. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I`m samy
    I got your answer and i replayd to you,
    just let me know if you recive it,cause it seems to be a problem with this.It`s wierd.

    ReplyDelete