Tuesday, January 24, 2017

The bird and the cat

I went to a customer's house to pick up some parts that were shipped incorrectly. They were in a box on the front porch since no one was home. As I walked to the front door I heard a rustling in the bushes and noticed a cat there. Big gray cat. Pretty one. Then I saw the small bird in front of him. A little finch I think. The cat was just lying there lazily swatting at the bird occasionally. When the bird fluttered the cat would swat again. I grew up with cats. I know their behavior to some extent anyway. Probably no one knows much about a cat, right? They're not like dogs. Dogs wear all their emotions on their sleeve. A dog can't conceal excitement or fear while cats mostly just seem aloof and I think they think they are smarter than us. A dog knows we are the rulers, top of the creation story on earth. God rested after creating humans. Dogs are aware of this and they know their place. They love their place. They live their lives having fun barking at the slightest sound of a UPS truck 15 miles away or chasing squirrels that ALWAYS make it back up the tree to safety. A dog shows unfiltered excitement when you come home from work as if he just won the lottery. A cat is nothing like this. A cat's Bible reads differently. After God made man he mused, "What would it be like if I made a small furry creature with needle-like teeth and claws that always confounds the man and the woman and defecates in a box of dirt near the washing machine?"

This cat looked up at me from the bushes and I reached down for the helpless bird. Gray Cat made no effort to keep or guard his prey. Almost like he was finished and resigned to the fact that this poor creature had no flutter left in him. I picked up Small Bird who made no attempt to fly. He weighed nothing. I thought about some science class years ago when I learned about the hollow bones of birds which are built with these criss-crossing struts to make them stronger even though they're very light. One little claw clung to my finger and the other one didn't move. He studied me with still open eyes while I carried him to a place down the driveway far away from Gray Cat. I found a sheltered place where I hoped he would be safe to recover or unmolested while he died.

I prayed and told God I was embarrassed that I felt this way about a small bird. He knows I feel this way about all animals. If Gray Cat was fighting for his life with a Big Dog or a Hyena I would feel the same way. I asked God if He would help me not get too weird about animals so that I reserve the correct compassion for people; especially those who are more difficult to love. I thought back to a couple Bible scriptures that I always loved:

Romans 8:19-22  The creation waits in eager expectation for the revelation of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not by its own will, but because of the One who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God. We know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until the present time.

All of creation was subjected to death because of Adam's sin in Genesis chapter 3. I see no death of any creature in God's creation until God made clothing out of animal skins for Adam and Eve AFTER they rebelled against God. Now all of creation is groaning and waiting until that final day when God makes all things right and hunting and death is no more. Then there is this joyous picture:

Isaiah 11:6-9  And the wolf will dwell with the lamb, 
And the leopard will lie down with the young goat,
And the calf and the young lion and the fattened calf together;
And a little boy will lead them.
Also the cow and the bear will graze,
Their young will lie down together,
And the lion will eat straw like the ox.
The nursing child will play by the hole of the cobra,
And the weaned child will put his hand on the viper’s den.
They will not hurt or destroy in all My holy mountain,
For the earth will be full of the knowledge of the LORD
As the waters cover the sea.

A little boy will lead a lion and a calf. A hunter and it's prey will no longer be wired to kill or flee. I've seen paintings of a wolf lying down in a pleasant sunny meadow with a lamb snuggling next to him. A small child will be playing around a cobra and will have no worry. His parents probably standing by and smiling. The new creation. All of the earth will be full of the knowledge of the Lord. It's stunning to me that knowing Him brings a re-creation like this. Knowing Him brings order and peace.

I set the bird down and walk away. I groan too. 



No comments:

Post a Comment