Saturday, May 30, 2009

The First Will Be Last

I have been in the book of Isaiah every morning for almost 2 years and I am only up to chapter 41. (I figure if God is doing the talking, if this is truly his word as it claims to be, then a mere mortal can plumb the depths of it for a lifetime and never exhaust all of its meaning.) Today I went on a neat tangent where I saw in verse 10 "fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed for I am your God."

In studying the Bible inductively I don't jump to application. Detailed observation is always first. But when I got to the application and I considered how Jesus promised us he would always be with us I looked over at Matthew 28. He clearly says he will be with us "always, to the end of the age". I can fear not and be not dismayed for the simple but powerful truth that he is with me.

I am going to Romania to fit wheelchairs. My primary goal is to "make disciples of all nations" like it says in Matthew 28:19. It is my understanding that Wheels for the World passes on a Bible to everyone they serve. We will be telling the good news to all the people we can while we're there. We want to give the immobile mobility and help those with muscle weakness or abnormal tone to sit upright. But really, more than any of that, we want them to know him who calms their fears and dispels their anxiety by "being with them".

John Piper once said he imagined the disabled would be ahead of him in the receiving line (as it were) in heaven. Jesus did say the first would be the last and the last first. Oh God, give me an understanding that every disabled child or adult I serve is one for whom you died and one of those who will be leaping and running - ahead of me - to jump into your arms in heaven. That's cool. I'll wait my turn...

No comments:

Post a Comment