Thursday, May 28, 2009

Romania in July!

So, this is it. The real reason for my postings.... In about 5 weeks I am headed to Romania with 8 others to deliver and fit custom wheelchairs. These aren't your everyday chrome plated hospital style fold-up wheelchairs, mind you. These are some involved mobility systems! And the people we'll be serving are those with cerebral palsy, spina bifida, spinal cord injuries and the like.



Take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLhkdxEjKcw&feature=related



This is the type of work I do here in the states day in and day out. But here it's completely different. It's easier in many respects. I "spec" out the wheelchair, get it funded and then order all the pieces and parts. We have an excellent technician who assembles everything to my specifications. In Romania I'll be fabricating and ingeniously fashioning things on the fly. It's a little daunting. For one, I'm not all that ingenious. Would you mind praying for me? I want eyes to see solutions and skillful hands to serve.




We'll be sharing the message of Christ's love with everyone too. Another area where I'll need help. I've worked on rebellious wheelchairs before. Sometimes they will start to trick me into thinking I can accomplish something only to fail because a part won't fit or the right tool isn't at hand. Then I can tell the wheelchair is laughing at me so I start calling them names. Unkind names. Could you pray that Christ's peace will rule my heart and my speech will be graceful? (see Colossians 3:15 & 4:6)

3 comments:

  1. Love you, Dave! I will definitely be praying for you in Romania. Being on 2 mission trips with you in two years was a blessing and I wish you much love and grace on this one!
    :-)Nan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wondered what exactly you did all day. I sort of pictured you having wheelchair races around the office and practicing wheelies. (That's secretly how I thought you hurt your neck that time.)

    All kidding aside, you continue to be an inspiration to me - not just in the "big stuff" like mission trips - but in the small, everyday choices you make. LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a honor and privilege it is to know you and to have served alongside you in Honduras. I will be praying for you and the people you will serve in Romania. You are such and inspiration in my walk. Thanks for living out Romans 12 and spurring me on to love and be obedient to Christ in every detail of my life.

    ReplyDelete