Monday, June 15, 2009

Trey

A young man is battling for life tonight in a hospital in Memphis, Tennessee. I did several wheelchairs for him over the years. In fact, he was one of the first children I saw at clinic when I got back into this business over ten years ago. He was 13 then. I liked him immediately as I am sure everyone does who ever met him.

He has kind of a mischievous grin and would take you by surprise with some of his comments. He isn't hard to understand though you have to listen with both ears. He has a rare disease (about one person in 3 million are affected) called Ataxia-Telangiectasia or A-T for short. I cannot be sure but I think mischievous may run deeper than his grin because there was that time he ran his power chair straight into the family pool. His dad dove in and released his son from the seat belt and chest harness and brought him up to safety, thank God. Of course I was brought in to diagnose why the wheelchair wouldn't run - that was a no-brainer.

My friend and those who suffer with A-T have an increased risk of lymphoma or other cancers and their suppressed immune system limits treatment options. His mom has been at his side and I heard that his dad has been called and is probably there too. It's difficult to know how to pray. When I consider my friend struggling I want more than anything for him to be free. Not just from pain but from from the grasp of this disease completely. I imagine him dancing before the Lord in complete bliss because Jesus is there and he is set free and his body finally expresses his unrestrained joy. But, if our Father should call him home, I know his mom and dad would grieve terribly. So, I bowed my head and let the tears fall, grateful that His Spirit knows how to pray when I don't (Romans 8:26). Maybe I didn't cover everything but I trust Him who loves this young man much more than we can imagine and knows the pain his parents are feeling too. I love you little buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment